What Happens When You Finish Your Apprenticeship?

If you are about to finish your Apprenticeship, here are the steps you need to take once you receive your Trade Certificate.

If you have completed your apprenticeship, you can only apply for a provisional plumber’s licence. You must work under supervision for at least one year before you can move onto the next stage of licensing.

To apply for your provisional licence you must contact Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) on 13 93 33.

You will need to have the following prior to applying for your provisional licence:

Once you have all of the required documentation – you can either send your application to:

GPO Box 5099
Brisbane Qld 4001

Or you can apply in person at your nearest QBCC Office -

It is very important to remember that until you have your provisional plumbing licence you cannot work unsupervised, and more importantly you cannot be paid as a Tradesperson until you have your licence. If you work unsupervised onsite you are leaving yourself and your employer open to hefty fines through QBCC if caught working unlicensed.


For more information, contact the MPAQ Workplace Relations team on 07 3273 0800 or email

The Master Plumbers' Association of Queensland (MPAQ)
is the peak industry body representing plumbing
contractors throughout Queensland, from sole operators
to medium sized plumbing businesses and large
contracting firms.
Find out more Become a Master Plumber

Is your plumber a Master Plumber?

Find one today.

MPAQ Platinum Corporate Supporters