Contracts for Plumbing Businesses Course
Learn how to correctly interpret and understand domestic and commercial building contracts
Reading and understanding contracts that you use or are asked to sign is not a skill everyone has. In fact, without a law degree, it's exceedingly difficult to interpret and know how you will be protected under contract terms.
MPAQ have teamed up with Construction Skills Queensland to offer a plumbing specific contracts course that you can complete in your own time. At the end of the course, you will be provided with a FREE MPAQ Plumbing Specific Work Contract of your choice (valued at $305 inc. GST), click here to view the full range of contracts. With our presenter, Brent Turnbull from Cornwalls, we've taken the legal jargon and broken it down into a more easily understandable format to make sure you and your business are protected.
The course is broken down into three 1-hour parts that can be watched on-demand:
Part 1 - What is a contract?
In this session we cover the basic requirements and structure of a contract, the interaction between a contract, statute and common law, why you need a contract, the types of contracts available, and what to do when tendering and tendering pitfalls.
Part 2 - Types of terms in contracts
In this session we run through the general terms you will find in a contract and how they can affect your business. We also cover how to best protect yourself under the terms of a contract.
Part 3 - Getting paid under a contract
In this session we cover arguably the most important aspect of a contract - how to get paid. We discuss payment provisions, payment claims, payment schedules, what practical completion means, and how the Building Industry Fairness Act affects payment claims.
The following costs apply to MPAQ members and include GST:
Small Business* funded: FREE
Non-Funded: $50 per person
*Construction Skills Queensland (CSQ) funds eligible employees and business owners to undertake this course at this reduced rate under the Small Business funding program. See eligibility requirements below. This funding is limited in availability and will be provided on a first-in, first-served basis.
- Be running or working for a Queensland based construction small business with 20 or less employees. Either director/owner or an employee who is directly involved in the day to day running of the business;
- An Australian or New Zealand citizen or permanent resident of Australia or a refugee and Humanitarian visa holder;
- Permanently reside in Queensland or be permanently employed in the Queensland construction industry;
- Not be an employee of any authority (local, state, or Commonwealth Government Department or statutory body) or RTO; and
- Not be a contracted trainer or assessor.